background

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Expect The Unexpected

Well as with most things in life you have to expect the unexpected and that's just what happened this past Saturday, July 6th. I woke up to some light pink spotting. I contacted my mid-wife and based on our conversation she determined it best if I went to the ER to get checked-out (she was out of town). She and I were both worried about the possibility of preterm labor as my Braxton Hick contractions were more frequent and I had been feeling a lot more low pressure in addition to the spotting. I hadn't had anything like this with my own so we felt better to play it safe with this special baby on board. 


I have never been in an ER so I was really freaked out, thankfully I had my husband and IP's with me who were all smiles trying to keep me calm. To relax myself as I was wheeled through hallways I tried to picture myself in a really good episode of Grey's Anatomy. They did a sonogram, urine & blood work, cervical check and gave me a IV of Saline (my first IV) to help with the Braxton Hick contractions. All in all baby was great, cervix was closed and no infection was found to keep me so I was discharged after a 4 hour stay.

My midwife had me rest with no activity on Sunday and I went in to see her for an appointment on Monday. On Monday, she did notice that my cervix is soft and baby G's head is far down. She estimates baby G will be at least 8lbs. (my own babies were in the 6-7lb. range). This might be why I feel such low pressure lately and could have been what brought on the spotting. But since we are only 33 weeks baby G can't come just yet so I have been put on 'sitting-rest' for the next 3 weeks. We just don't want a lot of pressure and/or friction on my cervix. 

My husband has been wonderful. He has had to take over the groceries, dinner making, laundry, housecleaning, etc. so I can sit as much as possible. My mid-wife said when I go to Target I should be the pregnant woman in the motorized cart, I am not so sure my pride will let me do that so Target might have to miss me for a few weeks (really it's me missing Target). I still tend to our 3 kids during the day but I try to stay sitting at whatever it is we are doing and I make it a priority to get back home after a few hours to rest on the couch.

It's definitely an adjustment since those of you who know me know that I am very active with my kids' but it's just for a few weeks and it is so worth it. I care so deeply about my belly buddy that I want the very best for her and I know right now the best thing for her is growing inside my belly for a few more weeks. So bring on the re-runs of Sex and the City (the weekend), Tia & Tamara (this is always on from midnight to 2:30am when I can't sleep), Little House on the Prairie (late afternoon) and 90210 (in the morning) cause I have a daily appointment with the couch.

Here is a quick picture of me from today.

6 comments:

  1. Bake Baby Bake! Baby G has the best oven, Mere!! xoxo

    (Lorinna)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look gorgeous!!! Go, Baby G!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meredith, I've been following your blog throughout your entire process. What an amazing story. It's so intriguing and just admirable! Are you able to give an update on how things are going with the new baby and parents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trinity! I will work on it tonight. I really should finish with the birth story. Sweet baby G did arrive early (34w 5d) and we both had a bumpy road getting out of the hospital.

      Delete
  4. What an awesome thing to do for someone!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabitha! I need to update with the birth story, hopefully I can get on that tonight.

      Delete